Tamil Nadu played an important role in the Independence of India. Here I will provide you the List of Freedom Fighters in Tamilnadu.
There are many unknown Tamil Nadu freedom fighters who have worked for the Indian Independence Movement.
Many Tamils, did their best using their profession, influence and reach to inspire the people of Tamilnadu and engage them in the Freedom Movement against the British.
The Indian independence movement consisted of the efforts of individuals and organizations belonging to a wide range of philosophies aimed at achieving Independence from the British, French and Portuguese, etc. from using various methods.
Tamil fighters even encourage the Non-Cooperation Movement led by Mahatma Gandhi, which helped in a positive way.
As our ancestors struggled for a long time, ultimately we got freedom, but look at today what happened? people totally forgot everything they did for us, and we are only chasing the money. “Ok” Leave it, but at least now understand how difficult it was and protect the country with pride.
List of Freedom Fighters in Tamilnadu
1. Subramania Bharati
- Full name: Chinnaswami Subramania Bharati
- Born: 11 December 1882, Ettaiyapuram
- Died: 12 September 1921, Chennai
- Spouse: Chellammal (m. 1897–1921)
Subramania Bharati was a versatile personality he was a poet, journalist, teacher, and freedom activist. Through his writings, he was able to make his points and fight against social evil like child marriage, etc. In 1918, the British were arrested and released only after he gave a declaration that he would step out from politics.
2. Tiruppur Kumaran
- Also Known: Kodi Kaththa Kumaran
- Born: 4 October 1904, Chennimalai
- Died: 11 January 1932, Tiruppur
Tiruppur Kumaran is a revolutionary who founded Desa Bandhu Youth Association to fight against the British. He died in an injury from a police assault when he was protesting against the British, he was holding a nationalist flag at the time of his death which was against British law, because of protecting the flag even in the last moments made us remember even today.
3. Velu Nachiyar
- Also Known: Veera Mangai Velunachiyar
- Born: 3 January 1730 Ramanathapuram, Tamil Nadu, India
- Died: 25 December 1796 (aged 66) Sivaganga, Tamil Nadu, India
- Spouse: Muthuvaduganathaperiya Udaiya Thevar
Velu Nachiyar a brave princess of Ramanathapuram, she was a talented woman who was trained to fight with weapons also she was profound in many languages. Her husband and son were killed by the British, and to take revenge she sacrificed herself by making a suicide attack on the British. However, she is the first female freedom fighter in India.
- Full Name: Vanchinatha Iyer also known as Vanchinathan or Vanchi
- Born: 1886, Sengottai
- Died: 17 June 1911 (aged 24–25)
- Spouse: Ponnammal
Vanchinathan is another revolutionary from history who is remembered for killing Robert Ashe, the Tax Collector of Thirunelveli. He later committed suicide. From then the railway station has been renamed Vanchi Maniyachi. You may be recalled the Bhagat Singh incident similarly he is also one among them.
5. Veerapandiya Kattabomman
- Full name: Veerapandiya Kattabomman
- Born: 3 January 1760, Panchalankurichi
- Died: 16 October 1799, Kayatharu
- Spouse: Jakkammal Kattabomman (m. ?–1799)
Veerapandiya Kattabomman was the chieftain of Panchalankurichi in Tamil Nadu, he was totally against the British East India Company and made war, but unfortunately, he was been captured by the British with the help of other ruler and was hanged at Kayathar and also a navy center named as INS Kattabomman.
6. V.O. Chidambaram Pillai
- Full name: Vallinayagam Olaganathan Chidambaram Pillai
- Born: 5 September 1872, Ottapidaram
- Died: 18 November 1936, Thoothukudi
- Spouse: Valliammai
V.O. Chidambaram Pillai started the Swadeshi Steam Navigation Company in 1906 to compete against the monopoly of the British India Steam Navigation Company. He was arrested in a protest, after releasing he withdrew the membership from INC due to the differences with Gandhi and worked towards building labor unions.
7. Dheeran Chinnamalai
- Full name: Theerthagiri Sarkarai Uthama Kaminda Manradiar
- Born: 17 April 1756 Melapalayam or Kasbah Palayakottai, Kangeyam, Tamil Nadu
- Died: 31 July 1805 (aged 49) Sankagiri, Salem district, Tamil Nadu or Karumalai, Oddanchatram, Dindigul district, Tamil Nadu
Dheeran Chinnamalai had opposed the British East India Company and was finally hanged at Fort Sankagiri near Salem with his brothers on August 2, 1805. He was betrayed by his cook Nallapan and captured by the British Sepoys, Acc. to Pulavar S. Raju Chinnamalai was hanged along with his 2 brothers.
8. Subramaniya Siva
- Full name: Subramaniya Siva
- Born: 4 October 1884, Batlagundu near Dindigul, British India
- Died: 23 July 1925 (aged 40) Papparapatti, Madras Presidency, India
When the Independence movement was held, Subramaniya Siva had been involved in protests and all, so he was taken to the Madras jail but got affected with leprosy hence British banned him from traveling in trains. But the bravery did not care he was walking with his legs and fighting against the British.
9. Maruthu Pandiyar
- Known as: Marudhu brothers
- Brothers Names: Periya and Chinna Marudhu
- Born: Elder brother was born on 15 December 1748 and the younger was born on 20 April 1753
- Died: 24 October 1801(hanged)
Marudhu brothers were the chieftains of Sivagangai, they were trained in martial arts and they got legendary status after they killed couple of tigers. The Maruthu Pandiyars captured 3 districts from the British, this was a serious issue for the British then many wars happened between them at last they were captured and hanged in the fort of Tirupputhur.
10. Puli Thevar
- Full Name: Puli Thevar
- Born: 1 September 1715 Nerkattumseval
- Died: c. 1767 Tamil Nadu
- Spouse: Kayalkani Nachiyar
Puli Thevar was the king who ruled Nerkattumseval in the Sankarankoil taluk of Tamil Nadu. He belongs to the Maravar warrior community, was one of the first freedom fighters. He was one of the first Indian kings to fight and defeat the British in India.
know more freedom fighters on next page…