The Powers and Functions of Rajya Sabha is one of the parliamentary body of democracy in India with the set of rules followed, let us understand how the role really takes place.
The Rajya Sabha or Council of States is the upper chamber of the Parliament of India. Membership in Rajya Sabha is bound by the Constitution up to 250 members maximum, and current laws have provisions for 245 members.
Most of the members in House are indirectly elected by state and union territories through unique transferable votes, while the President may appoint 12 members for their contributions to art, literature, social services, science and technology. Members sit for staggered periods of six years, and 1/3rd retire every two years.
Important Powers and Functions of Rajya Sabha are as follows:
The Rajya Sabha doesn’t have co-equal powers with the Lok Sabha. Only Money bills cannot be introduced rest all can be introduced in the Rajya Sabha. The Rajya Sabha has the power to accept, reject or amend any normal bill.
The Rajya Sabha doesn’t have the power to control ministry of council as a result of council is accountable only to the Lok Sabha. It cannot defeat the govt and become reason for downfall. Even though it passes a no-confidence motion against Government, it cannot ask the Government to resign. Anyway, the Rajya Sabha can influence the executive by questions, goals and problems.
In the field of finance, the place of the Rajya Sabha is inferior compared to Lok Sabha, because Money Bill cannot be rejected, introduce nor cannot make any changes to it.
Rajya Sabha has got the equal rights with Lok Sabha in terms of amending the constitution. Any bill apart from money bill can be raised to amend in Rajya Sabha also. It can be passed by the acceptance of both the houses with the majority with 2/3rd members present and vote.
* Other Functions
In addition to the Powers and Functions of Rajya Sabha described above, the Rajya Sabha shares its powers with the Lok Sabha in:
- Electing President and Vice-President of India
- Impeachment of President of India
- They can initiate in the removal of Vice-President
- Supreme Court and High Court Judges can be removed
- They can give permission for presidency rule at the time of emergency.
* Other Powers
- By a majority resolution of 2/3, the Rajya Sabha can empower parliament to legislate on an issue on the state list in the national interest.
- By a majority resolution of 2/3, Rajya Sabha can create one or more All-India Services.
- At the time of Lok Sabha dissolution, Rajya Sabha can call for emergency.
These are the main Powers and Functions of Rajya Sabha acts superior than Lok Sabha.